- Visit Us
- What's On
- Get Involved
- The Estate
The St. Cuthbert’s Society, a registered charity in the UK, was initially founded on the 19th July 1854, 46 years after the first students walked from Crook Hall to their new home at Ushaw. The society had only one purpose; to support the college in its mission to train men for the catholic priesthood who could go on to serve the growing catholic communities of Northern England.
The society was initially opened only to those who attended Ushaw, and the alumni who went on to do prosper in the Catholic Church across Britain. However, after 150 years of exclusivity, the 21st century brought forward the opportunity for the society to amend its constitution. The society began allowing ‘Friends of Ushaw’ to join, and help support the College as it formed new priests for the Diocese of the North. Today, all those who wish to support Ushaw, from those who visit us regularly to our long-distance ‘Friends’, membership of the ‘Friends of Ushaw’ group is available (Click here for more details).
St Cuthbert’s society continues to this day, and all those who have a special place in their heart for Ushaw are encouraged to apply for membership to the esteemed group, and further the development of our beautiful and historic college. To this day, the society continues, and whilst its purpose has changed, its role at Ushaw has not.